12 January 2006

Subtitle's lopsided drum kit is water-proof.

Went to see Subtitle (http://www.giovannimarks.com) perform at Hush Hush Lounge in SF last night. It was an intimate show as ST performed on the floor with his audience in a small huddle. For those who aren't familiar with Subtitle, he's a rapper from Los Angeles who stands 6'8" and spits loquacious raps at the speed of your micro processor. He's definitely on that electronic, experimental vibe. His latest record is called "Young Dangerous Heart." I recommend that you cop that disc immediately as it was one of the more interesting underground hip-hop albums of 2005. My favorite lines include: "I'm still ballin' like Tupac 'cause I'm 6 foot 8 and I can shoot well..." and "Me and my date hate dates, but we love Fig Newtons."

JR and I drank some drinks like Red Stripes (which were $2!) and took in the deep underground vibe coming from the DJ, Willow the Gas Lamp Killer. He opened for Pigeon John and MF Doom last month at the Independent. We did a little dancing, but the crowd seemed hostile to that. But you know us, we simply can't be faded! It was a fun little outing for an otherwise typical Wednesday night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home